Parliament of Zimbabwe has appointed the Committee on Standing Rules and Orders which is charged with supervising the administration of Parliament.
The Committee is appointed in terms of Section 151 (1) of the Constitution and is composed of selected legislators from both Houses (National Assembly and the Senate), Minister of Finance and two ministers appointed by the President,
Speaker of the National Assembly Jacob Mudenda leads the Committee and is deputised by Mabel Chinomona (Senate President).
Senate President Mable Chinomona made the announcement of the appointments during Senate sitting.
Below is the announcement of the appointment:
THE HON. PRESIDENT OF SENATE: Section 151 (1) of the Constitution provides that Parliament must appoint a Committee to be known as the Committee on Standing Rules and Orders for purposes of supervising the Administration of Parliament, formulating Standing Orders, considering and deciding all matters concerning Parliament and exercising any other functions that may be conferred or imposed on the Committee by the Constitution or by Standing Order or any other law.
Section 151 (2) of the Constitution provides that the Committee on Standing Rules and Orders must consist of the Speaker and the President of the Senate and the following Members of Parliament: the Deputy Speaker; the Deputy President of the Senate and two other Ministers appointed by the President; the Leader of Government Business in each House; the Leader of the Opposition in each House; the Chief Whips of all political parties represented in each House; the President of the National Council of Chiefs; two Members who are not Ministers or Deputy Ministers, one being a Senator appointed to the Committee by the President of the Senate and the other one being a Member of the National Assembly appointed by the Speaker.
In terms of Standing Order No. 14 of both the Senate and the National Assembly Standing Orders and the provisions of Section 151 of the Constitution, I therefore, inform the House that the Committee on Standing Rules and Orders shall consist of the following;
- Speaker – Hon. J. F. N. Mudenda
- President of the Senate – Hon. M. M. Chinomona
- Deputy Speaker – Hon. T. Gezi
- Deputy President of the Senate – Hon. Rtd. Nyambuya
- Minister of Finance – Hon. Prof. M. Ncube
- Minister appointed by the President – Hon. O.C.Z Muchinguri
- Minister appointed by the President – Hon. Sen. M. Mutsvangwa
- Leader of Government Business – Hon. Z. Ziyambi
Leader of Government Business – Hon. Sen. L. Matuke Senate
- Leader of Opposition – TBA National Assembly (CCC)
- Leader of Opposition – TBA Senate (CCC)
- Government Chief Whip – Hon. Togarepi National Assembly (ZANU PF)
- Chief Whip (CCC) – Hon. Chibaya
- Chief Whip Senate (ZANU PF) – Hon. T. Muzenda
- Chief Whip Senate (CCC) – Hon. N. Mlotshwa
- President of the Chief’s Council – Hon. Chief Mtshane Khumalo
- Member appointed by the Hon. Speaker – Hon. P. Zhou
18 Member appointed by the President of the Senate– Hon. M. Bimha
19 Member ZANU PF – Hon. K. Musanhi
20 Member ZANU PF – Hon. P. Moyo
- Member ZANU PF – Hon. F. Buka
- Member CCC – Hon. S. Mahlangu
- Member Chiefs’ Council – Hon. Sen. Chief Charumbira
- Member ZANU PF – Hon. O. Hungwe
- Member Chiefs’ Council – Hon. Sen. Chief Ngungumbane
26 Member CCC – Hon. J. Timba
The above list of Members complies with Section 151 (2) of the Constitution and Standing Order No. 14. The above Members are therefore duly elected Members of the Committee on Standing Rules and Orders – [HON. SENATORS: Hear, hear.]-